Sunday, September 28, 2014

Cross Ranch

Yesterday I spent the day exploring another state park that is kind of close to where we live - Cross Ranch State Park! I enjoyed it, but the pesky mosquitoes were out in full force.
The path I walked on was right along the bank of the Missouri River.
I also walked by numerous tenters and campers and found out that I'm not the only one enjoying the beautiful (and unusually warm) end of September weather!
Along the path they had interpretive signs describing the history, geology, and wildlife of the area. From one particular sign I learned that Cross Ranch, which used to be called Gaines Ranch, was once part of an 11,000 acre ranch owned by A.D. Gaines. He acquired Theodore Roosevelt's Maltese Cross Brand. When the ranch was sold in 1956, it was renamed the "Cross Ranch" in honor of Theodore Roosevelt. Eventually, Cross Ranch State Park was a gift to the people of North Dakota on the state's 100th birthday in 1989.
I discovered that the park has cross country skis and snowshoe rentals as well as Yurts available for rent year round. The gears in my head are already turning with the thought of returning this winter for a night or two...

3 comments: