Thursday, September 11, 2014

nine eleven

I was in the elementary lunchroom when I heard about nine eleven. It didn't effect me as much as it does now, now that I have gotten older. I don't think I fully understood...

On this day, I always find myself looking back at pictures that were taken, listening again to Alan Jackson's song, and being thankful I am a citizen of the United States.

The thing that has impacted me the most about this day was when I read the names and ages of the people that were killed. 

On flight 93 there was a girl by the name of Deora that was just 20 years old. She was flying home after visiting friends. 
On flight 11, the flight that crashed into the north tower, there was a woman by the name of Thelma, who was 71. She was on her way to visit her sister. 
There was a lawyer by the name of Daniel who was traveling on flight 173 and he had along his three year old son, David.

The list of names goes on - 2,996 names to be exact. Grandmas, grandpas, dads, moms, daughters, sons, husbands, wives...
I can't even begin to imagine the horror they went through that day.

source

"Today, our fellow citizens, our way of life, our very freedom came under attack in a series of deliberate and deadly terrorist acts. The victims were in airplanes or in their offices: secretaries, business men and women, military and federal workers, moms and dads, friends and neighbors. Thousands of lives were suddenly ended by evil, despicable acts of terror. The pictures of airplanes flying into buildings, fires burning, huge -- huge structures collapsing have filled us with disbelief, terrible sadness and a quiet, unyielding anger. These acts of mass murder were intended to fighten our nation into chaos and retreat. But they have failed. Our country is strong. A great people have been moved to defend a great nation." - U.S. President George Bush

1 comment: