Friday, October 10, 2014

"I missed you so much!"

This morning, for my 1st year teacher mentoring program, I headed over to a neighboring school to do some observing. I need to get six hours of observation in this semester so I was happy to check three hours off! I left everything ready for the sub after school yesterday - with the plan that I would arrive back around noon or so.

As I drove into the parking lot at noon today, I sighed. I wondered what the substitute would have to say about my kids today.

To say the least, things didn't go so smoothly. I nodded as I listened to her get me up to speed on some behaviors that had occurred and as she was talking, I was thinking I wonder if she'll be back to sub for me...! 

After she left, I sat down at my desk and looked at the handwriting pages that needed to be corrected, the emails that needed answering, the lesson planning that needed to be done for next week...and I came to the conclusion that teaching is the one profession where being gone causes more work for you than if you're there.

As I was sitting at my desk, figuring out where to start, it wasn't long before a head popped around the doorway and an excited voice shrieked "Mrs. Vigesaa's Back!" Before I knew it 17 little ones were bounding around desks and pushing and shoving to be the first one to give me a hug.
"I missed you so much!" A voice sang out in my ear as as little arms clasped around my neck.
"Please never be gone again!" Another one told me.

And in between hugs I realized something: How much teachers impact their students - how much I am impacting my students. I truly mean something to these little people and when I'm gone, I am missed! It gives me motivation to keep trying to be the best teacher I can be, even on the rough days. {The days when I feel like pulling out my hair...which has seemed like a lot lately!}

BTW, received my first school photos this week.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you are very important to all of your little students.
    Nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete