Sunday, June 22, 2014

A Farm

Two days ago I spent the morning outside with two of my nephews searching for bird eggs, listening for deer, walking through the trees (and very tall, green grass!), spotting bunnies, and chatting about guns, dirtbikes, and school. It was a bit breezy out but when we were in the trees, it was perfect. I love summer days like these. The smell, the sight, the sounds...everything.

My in-laws recently bought some land in the country and are currently in the process of building a home on it. I am so excited for them and I can tell they love it out there. I must admit, I love it out there too! It's amazing watching their house all come together and hear the stories from my wonderful sister-in-law, Heather, of life on the farm since they moved.


Now that Aaron and I live in town, I think back to growing up on a farm and I think I kind of took it for granted. I didn't really think about the fact I could just sit outside and watch/hear the birds without hearing any trains, people, or cars. I didn't think about how truly fortunate I was to have my own horse I could just saddle up and take off down the road on if I wanted to. Or go for a walk through trees. Or sunbathe outside. Ha!

It's in the summertime when I miss the country/farm life so much. But I am thankful I have a husband who wants to live in the country again as bad as I do, and I know one day we will. And when that point comes, it'll be the right time in our lives.


2 comments:

  1. On the positive side of city life, less time spent mowing grass, removing snow, painting fence and out buildings, arranging for help if you want to be away a few days, and it's easy to hook on to city services such as garbage pick up and water, etc. those early years were relatively care free when we were city dwellers. About 16 years, until we moved to the country house 3 miles east of town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow you lived in town 16 years after you were married?

      Delete