Saturday, February 14, 2015

Bismarck Trip

My sister-in-law, Heather, and I have almost the same taste. As we talk about getting things for our homes, we find ourselves saying, "oh that's what I was thinking!" or "I love that!" (and we actually mean it!)
So when we decided to head to Bismarck last Saturday, I was so excited. Boutique shopping was on the top of the list, with Menards not even on the list. (We go there way too often with our husbands and not to mention the "You save big money, you save big money, when you shop Menards!" jingle is starting to really irritate me...)
The morning of I moussed my hair, put on my new tunic I had just gotten in the mail, and was headed out the door when I hear Aaron from the bedroom, "Hey Laura! I'll text you when you get to Bismarck. I have a few things I need you to pick up at --" Don't say Menards, don't say Menards, I thought in my head.
"-- Menards."
Shoot. Oh well, I remember reasoning to myself, if he needs something to finish the garage,  I'll get it for him. He's been working so hard on it. Should be easy enough to just pick up quick, right?
Wrong. Turns out what he needed was 11 2x6's 10 foot long. Fortunately (or unfortunately?) we had my sister-in-law's suburban so they would be able to fit.
So, at the end of our fun shopping day, we stopped at Menards, got the ticket, headed back to the lumber yard part of Menards and drove slowly until we found the boards. Turns out they were on the second level, not near the steps, and there was not a Menards employee in sight to help. Heather and I chuckled a bit at our situation, talked about the best way to tackle the situation, and finally decided that I would try to hand the boards down to her through the railing. I took off at a jog towards the steps that would bring me up to the second level while Heather waited below.
I grabbed the first board, careful not to touch the board to my new tunic. After all, I didn't want it to snag the thin material and rip a hole! Well, after the 7th board I decided to give up keeping my tunic safe from snags or dirt. These boards were heavy and not only that but they were cold! We were about to find out just how cold when we got the the 10th board and found out that the rest were frozen together.
I heeved, pushed, struggled, pounded, and tried to lift but nope, they wouldn't budge. They were firmly frozen together. I thought I had tried everything until Heather decided to come up and try her hand in getting them apart. Now these boards were about waist high so I was impressed when Heather, skirt and all, decided to give a mighty kick.
"Kicking sometimes does the trick!" She told me and sure enough, after two big kicks the boards were loose and we were able to proceed in picking up the last two boards.
I must say, I have been to Menards a lot in the past two years, but the trip with my sister-in-law has probably been the most memorable.
The picture above is of me and my sister-in-law. I think it's the only one I have! Shortly after it was taken I posted it on facebook...and these were a few of the comments:
"There's trouble in them thar hills!"
"Oh boy - look out world! Two women with a gun! Lock your doors NOW!!"
"First time a thought of a gun ban being a good thing crossed my mind."
People think they're so funny. :) I'm thankful to have this lady living 20 miles from us!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Misspelling, oops. Way to get 'er done! Hahahha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha ha ha ha! I never head this story before! Yes - I hope you shopping trip to Bismarck tomorrow is loads of fun and that it DOESN'T include a stop a Maynard's! Have fun! Nice you can hang out!

    ReplyDelete