Monday, June 13, 2016

day four and five of our south western road trip

Our fourth day was spent at Zion Nat'l Park. This was my favorite park that we went to. It had extremely wind-y/switchback roads down into it and on this switchback road we drove through a mile long tunnel built underneath a mountain. 

Cars are only allowed so far into the park, so we parked and then took the shuttle to the Angel's Landing trail head. Starting out the walk was pretty easy, since it's mainly flat, but then it starts angling up into the mountain. We passed an 80+ year old guy making his way up - I was amazed! I didn't really want to be walking behind him, though...!

We were almost to the top when I started to feel light headed with tingly fingers/toes and my limbs started feeling extremely heavy. I also felt like I was starting to hyperventilate, which was odd because I was consciously breathing slow and steady. I realized I wasn't drinking enough water (I just didn't feel thirsty so wasn't drinking!) and Elizabeth gave me some salty nuts that she had packed. They definitely helped.  I think I was dehydrated, so I had those side effects. And then I started feeling anxious about it... It was just not a good feeling at all. I was thankful that my sister was a nurse! 

We ended the day in Zion with hiking the Narrows. Really fun, and challenging at times! It's a hike that basically is the Virgin River. With it being so hot out, the river felt amazing.

Day five we spent in Vegas. Not my scene, but it was cool to experience. The Bellagio Fountains were really neat and I really enjoyed staying in "Paris". (Well, minus our party-ing room neighbors..!)
Zion National Park
Hiking
The Narrows in Zion
Las Vegas

1 comment:

  1. Reading about your adventure is so interesting, good to read the history,too. Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete