Saturday, March 14, 2015

One of those days

There were two chairs flipped over, a desk over turned, the reading center chair flipped over, and shoes that were thrown furiously into the garbage can by my desk. I felt the tears just on the edge of my eyes as I sat down at my desk after the student was taken to the office after an episode. I was hoping to get an email that would take my mind away from the situation. I just needed to make it until the end of the day when I could let it go. As I sat there, it wasn't long before I felt two little arms go around me, and then four, and then six. "We love you Mrs. Vigesaa", came a voice. Oh great, I can't hold it in now, I remember thinking in my head as the tears began to flow. At just the right moment another teacher walked in, saw me just about to become a huge mess, and told me she would take over if I needed to go somewhere. I nodded, so so SO thankful, as I made a bee-line for the lounge and the sanctuary of the bathroom. Once in the bathroom, I pep talked to myself in the mirror, I can do this. Although, the face looking back didn't quite match the pep-talk. My eyes were red, my face was redder, and my nose was even redder. I did finally get a hold of myself and was able to make it back to my class in time to dismiss the kids for the weekend. "See you on Monday," I told them as they made their way out of the classroom.

And so, as I sit here on Saturday morning, I do feel better. With a new day comes fresh perspectives, a fresh mind, and a fresh feeling. Yes, Friday was awful but I'll be ready for Monday because I know there will be 17 kindergartners relying on me. I must say, after this first year of teaching I realized that it isn't always going to be butterflies and rainbows (I doubt any job is!) but I have got to let the pros outweigh the cons. A pro of being a teacher? I'd say impacting the lives of little humans and watching them grow, even now into 1st graders, is amazing! And as funny as this sounds, I know in May when they walk out the door after nine months together, I'm going to be a tearful mess again!

3 comments:

  1. You teachers are A.MAZ.ING!!! I think schools need more teachers like you who really take their responsibility to heart!

    ReplyDelete