Thursday, August 7, 2014

maplewood state park


My August 6th was spent riding horse with my mom in the hills and trees of Maplewood State Park. Besides the fact that I could barely get my foot up into the stirrup {uff}, it was a great day!


 A few months back I remember having a conversation with my eldest sister about when you're not able to do something for awhile, it makes you appreciate it even more when you are able to do it again. She was talking about when she was pregnant with her son and not able to run - but - I could say the same for horseback riding. 


Our boys, Tobey and Rio, both have their little quirks. For some reason Tobey thinks he's a bloodhound. If I don't bring his head up, he'll keep his head down close to the ground, sniffing the trail the whole way. Today he also felt the need to not want to walk in the path but beside it. Oh well. And Rio, he can be as slow as molasses one minute and then get into his crow-hopping mood the next. Thankfully he wasn't in his little "mood" when mom's rein broke!

There was no bolting, no horse freak-outs while tied to the trailer, no waiting outside the trailer for 2.5 hours because a horse wouldn't load, no bucking, no leading a horse across mud because they wouldn't go themselves, no rolling... {yes, all this has happened before and more...}
It was just pleasurable, enjoying the scenery, horseback riding. Our two boys, Rio and Tobey, are keepers. 


1 comment: