Sunday, February 14, 2016

Valentine's Day


One of my most favorite traditions growing up happened on Valentine's Day. Every February 14th, my mom would shut the dining room doors and when they would be opened, the table would be transformed into a beautiful Valentine's Day display. Candles would be lit with the lights off, Yanni would be playing on the Bose in the corner, Fine China dinnerware was set with Meier's sparkling duck in fancy glasses, and little Valentine's gifts would be sitting on our chairs. The meal was delicious. Everything was beautiful. 
The picture above is from one of mom's Valentine's meals. 

I've decided to carry on that tradition, although our meal this year wasn't quite as fancy. We don't have china place settings or fancy drinking glasses (yet!), and we don't have tall beautiful candles (another, yet!), but we ate by candlelight anyways! Our candle was a fat chunky candle from bath and body works and our music came from Pandora on my computer. Our meal for this first year of carrying on the tradition was steak, creamed corn, and apple slices.

Thanks, mom, for a wonderful and beautiful tradition in the bleak and cold month of February!

(The picture below is the last candlelight supper in our "Lisbon" house - my senior year of high school. This was four days after I broke my leg on the ice.)


2 comments:

  1. Very fun to remember the fancy candle light dinners....I enjoyed preparing everything special for the night, I am thrilled you are starting this tradition at your home now, too. Happy Valentines Day

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought all the stuff but then we were invited out...so we are going to be fancy, too - just a little post-valentines. :)

    ReplyDelete