Thursday, May 3, 2012

A Friend like Henry


Lately I have been really interested in non-fiction books. There's just something about reading a true story about real people or events that actually happened.
The latest book I've read, which was exceptional, was about an autistic boy and the golden retriever his parents got for him which ends up unlocking his world.  It's called A Friend like Henry by Nuala Gardner.
I don't know very much about autism so it was interesting to learn that:
"Autism is diagnosed when there are deficits in three main areas. The first is the inability to communicate both verbally and non-verbally.  The second area is lack of imagination and flexibility of thought. The third is the inability to socialize, make friends, and make sense of the world we live in." (Gardner, 8)
Like I mentioned above, Henry unlocked Dale's world in so many ways.  Here is a clip I found that gives a brief summary of what the book is about. There is so much more in the book though -- I  recommend reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment